Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
What's the "pain?" The front lug? The tang? The mag box? What?

Of course it's not like a 700 which is just a cylinder. Not that different from a Model 70 (or at least the 64s) but those have a third action screw (or is that the darn RUGERS?). Been so long since that Model 70 I've forgotten.

You might have to bed in "phases." I have pillar-bedded all my 98s and didn't do any of them all at once. I concentrated on making sure thngs were "de-stressed, basically letting things cure upside down while the whole thing was supported by the barrel. Another point is to get the bottom metal and action just clear, just so, of each other in the final fit. Sometimes the contact there can cause inconsistent voodoo things to happen.

I need to see or hear what you do. I am doing it in phases but I wanted to see how others do it. The model 70 has a recoil lug independent of the front action screw. This screw into the bottom of the recoil lug of a Mauser makes it difficult to bed without gluing the bolt in. However, if you pull it off the Mauser system makes it like a pillar bed. The front bolt goes into a pillar that's part of the bottom metal and is bolted to the recoil lug making for a very solid bedding. I like that about the action. I guess it's just different than what I'm used to.

What I guess I'm asking is if some of you could explain what you do. I now think I've figured it out but I would like to hear other people's procedure. Walk me through what you do. That's what I'm asking.

Last edited by Filaman; 08/22/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!