Originally Posted by Pappy348
HOWA Vanguard?

Was it a Howa, or a Weatherby? I've had a couple of both, and the Weatherbys seem a touch more refined, but nothing major except that the Weatherby tupperware stocks are better than the lumpy Hogues on the ones LSI sells here. Haven't seen a lammy version of either except the one I put a Boyds stock on. Currently, I have two, a Mini and an Alpine. Really like the forged-steel actions with one piece bolts and simple bolt takedown, but they are a bit heavy unless you can find a discontinued Alpine with its Bansner stock, light barrel, and slightly trimmed action. Mine goes 7 pounds 4.1 oz with a one pound scope in Talley LWs, 3/4 pound more than my Fieldcraft (but $1200 cheaper).

All good rifles. I keep finding bargain ones, which has so far prevented me from dipping my toe in the new econo-rifle market.

Pappy,
It was branded a Howa but as I said, the actions with 3 ports on the bolt was as the Weatherby Vanguard design. I have quite a lot of exposure to Weatherby's in all guises so know the difference. What puzzled me was a trade mark cannot be infringed, so although the name "Vanguard" is quite universal, that trade mark is obviously owned by Weatherby as it relates to Rifles.

Also, the laminated stock on these rifles had a distinctly different checkering pattern on the fore-end to any other variant. Whether Weatherby allows the branding to continue, we'll see.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.