Heart/lungs if possible.

And I try to choose a bullet that will work regardless of placement or impact velocity. I have a fairly large stash of North Fork SS, FP and HP (prototype) bullets which do very well in this regard. Barnes MRX, TTSX and LRX have provided a bit over 50% straight-down DRT results regardless of angle. We've never recovered one and I've driven two front-to-rear-and-out through mule deer. We use quite a few AccuBond, also with about 50% straight-down DRT results. At some point I'll probably try the Federal Edge TLR, which I think may be the best designed hunting bullet available for my uses.

With exceptions for my levers and handguns, I save cup-and-core bullet for use at the range. Yes, they work most of the time, but I've also seen spectacular failures and necessary meat loss.

[Edit to add]
Forgot one. I also use cup and core (95g SST) in my .243 Win for antelope. Once, two years ago. Did that because it was the only load developed for the .243 at the time and, frankly, it doesn't take much to put a doe antelope on the ground. Have since verified (last weekend) that 90g BT shoot to pretty much the same point of aim out to 600 yards. Will probably switch to 90g AB for hunting loads and save the SSTs for targets and coyotes and prairie dogs.
[End edit]

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 08/28/19.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.