Cooper offers your choice of several variations of sporter, varminter and benchrest rifles, with wood, synthetic or laminated stocks, some with detachable box magazines, in .284 Winchester. Although each will run somewhere around $2,500 to $2,600.

Now if it were me, I'd just buy a bare Remington 700 long action (.30-06), if I wanted to use really long monolithic copper expanding bullets, and order a drop-in Super Match S.S. barrel from Pac-Nor, chambered for the .284 Winchester, with 1:8" twist polygonal rifling, 24" contour of my choice, equipped with the Pac-Nor Rem-Nut, and screw it on myself using my Savage and Remington tools and a set of headspace gauges. Then get a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock, a PT&G .250" thick precision ground Remington 700 recoil lug, skim bed it and go for broke. Maybe toss the Remington Trigger for a Jewel. or Timney (amazing how quickly one winds up with a box of unused Remington triggers). I'd still spend about the same amount, maybe a bit more, but who cares, it's only money?

Of course the first thing before going to .284 Winchester is to buy a bunch of factory ammo and archive it, or a quantity of brass. I already have a supply of brass to reform into 6.5 x 284 Norma, so that's good. Winchester's brass and ammo is limited (seasonal) production, although Graf & Sons shows it in stock now www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/179? , and they have brass in stock too, www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/715? Note the prices! Given all the hassle, I'd probably just stick with my Cooper in 6.5 x 284, which bests the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 08/29/19.