Originally Posted by d500lnn
Originally Posted by ModelSeven
I have a couple of KS M7s with the camo stock. All the camo KS 7s were Brown Precision stocks. McMillan's were all gray (or black on the AWR rifles). Another way to identify the KSs is the barrel taper in front of the recoil lug. They have a straight taper down to the barrel contour size (rather than the rounded contour in front of the lug like the production rifles) then hold the barrel contour size out to the muzzle (which is also slightly heavier than a production 7). The FS had the production 7 barrel dimensions.

These are great bits of info. Thanks. I have an early KS with a BP stock. Someone told me all the Model Seven had McMillans. You confirmed what I already thought....I didn’t realize about the shank of the barrel.....very cool. Thanks. Mine has been cerecoated and stock repainted by Karl. It is an awesome little rifle. I’ve had this rifle since I was 21-22 years old....I’m 45. I kinda have a fondness for this rifle.

Top rifle in this link

https://imgur.com/a/Mxln83A

There are other ways to tell the stocks apart, after you've handled a few. The BP stocks were only put on the KS rifles a short time, 3 years give or take, from around 1988-1991. These times are approximate, but will be pretty close. The BP stocks had a very slightly less pronounced cheek piece than the McMillans. The McMillans had a slightly slimmer and shorter forend than the BP and also, in the ones I've handled, put the sling swivel stud further back on an already shorter forend, which tends to put MY hand up against the stud (which I don't really like, but to each his own). If neither have been repainted it's easy to tell, even if they are the same grey color. The McMillan had a more aggressive texture where the BP had slight bumps in their texture, but tended to be more slippery.

Sorry about hijacking the thread.

Hope this helps some,
M7