Originally Posted by ThroughTheScope
Following Wyoming legalizing blood trailing dogs early this year, I've been wanting to buy a hunting dog and train it for the purpose. [snip] I usually hunt cow elk in November and December and would like a dog that resilient to the cold. {snip} Anyone have any suggestions for a good trailing for cold weather? {snip}

As you can tell by my handle, I'm a fan of the Deutsch Drahthaar (DD). These dogs are purposely breed to do many hunting tasks well, and one of those is to track and retrieve wounded game In an advanced German hunt test, there is a dedicated blood tracking portion. Even in an less advanced test there is a requirement for the dogs to track and retrieve a dead hare that has been dragged over 300 meters. These dogs also handle cold weather very well.

If you're interested in learning more about the DD breed, here's the link to the national breed club here: Verein Deutsch–Drahthaar - Group North America

There are several registered VDD-GNA DD kennels in WY: VDD-GNA DD Breeders List I'm sure they would be happy to answer your questions about the breed.

This link shows DDs at 'work in the forest' and there are a couple of pics of DDs with big game animals they tracked down: Drahthaar Forest Work

[Linked Image]

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)