A couple years ago my then 10 year old killed his first brown bear, a seven footer using his 9.3x62 with H4895 pushing 250gr TTSXs to 2100fps. We knelt 40 yds away while he fed directly facing us for over five minutes. At one point he asked "Dad, should I just rake him?" "No, wait for him to turn" was my reply. I wasn't so much concerned about the ability of the boy or bullet to do good work, rather there was no reason to add the danger of an evening blood trail job to an already maybe-sorta-mother-approved boys' adventure.

I've shot plenty of deer facing me. Often they drop right there but if they don't there's not much of a blood trail sometimes. It's hard to count on a blood trail with bears, so we try to get them as leaky as possible on the first go round. Unless they're charging and need killed right now that theory precludes a direct frontal shot on an undisturbed brown bear.

The boy's bear turned soon enough and soon had three shots from the kid in rapid succession resulting in six holes from various angles, the dance having started. Evidence indicated those TTSXs expanded just fine.