Originally Posted by Rlhunter0403
I recently purchased a Carl Gustaf stamped 1907 in 6.5x55. I am new to mausers but the gun was so beautiful I just couldn’t resist. It has been customized by the previous owner to have a mannlicher stock. I have read and heard that you have to be careful what factory ammunition to load into these old guns. So I guess my question is: what ammo is safe to load into this rifle? I have bought federal fusion 140gr and S&B 131gr. I really don’t want to have to reload this rifle but I will if I have to

Thanks for any help!

The Swedes built the best pre-1898 style military Mausers in all aspects, so if your rifle is in good condition it should be safe with factory ammo. The most negative characteristic of the Swedish military Mausers is that they don't handle escaping gas as well as 1898 style Mausers if you pierce a primer or have a separated case. If your rifle has already been sporterized, I'd suggest swapping the trigger out for a BOLD or Timney unit with an integral safety and a commercial style bolt shroud with a larger gas shield. I've reworked more than a dozen Swedish military Mausers, but mine were almost all 1942/43 Model 38 Husqvarnas.