I’ve always been a bolt action guy but it felt like a good time to pick up my first AR with all the ‘stuff’ going on right now. I wanted one just to play with and have in case of the proverbial SHTF; I'm not interested in completely tricking this thing out. It was hard to not get a Ruger AR 556 when local place had them for $479. I ran a couple boxes of cheap steal case Russian 5.56 ammo through it and it functioned great. More fun to shoot than I remember an AR being too.

Anyway, I was wondering what upgrades you Ruger AR owners found worthwhile. The trigger is a bit heavy but not bad enough to justify a replacement. I’m mainly considering an inexpensive red dot like a Vortex/Primary arms OR I may just replace the plastic flip up rear with a fixed Troy industries rear sight. Is a carry handle/sight a better upgrade than just the sight alone? I’d like to mount a flashlight on it too if this can be done via the bayonet lug/front sight. Or is it worthwhile replace the handguard? I’m not a fan of the fat/sharp edged foreends.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince