Originally Posted by djb
Originally Posted by scoony
For the Ruger AR556, keep an eye on your buffer. Mine had a burr on the rear of the bolt carrier that made a circular groove in the face of the buffer. Called Ruger and they sent me a new buffer and bolt carrier. The only issue with the original bolt carrier was the burr, but that was easily polished out.

I found the same thing happened with mine so I polished the rear of the bolt carrier. I didn't feel a burr but there was certainly a jagged circle in the face of the buffer. If it keeps cutting, I'll call Ruger.

Thanks for the heads up and all the other suggestions.

First thing I did with my ar556 was drop in larue mbt-2s.

Replaced the Ruger collapsible stock with a Magpul ACS-L, because I got tired of getting my beard hair pulled out by the shorter telestock. Grip was replaced with a k2+ Magpul, just liked the angle better. Handguards were replaced with moe carbine, because.

Replaced the buffer with an h2. I grabbed a toolcraft m16 cut BCG on sale for cheap and swapped out the carrier with the original, keeping the new bolt for a spare. No idea why Ruger went with the Colt semi-auto cut carrier.

I think that's everything functionally changed parts wise. I lucked into a good deal on a Burris xtr ii 1.5-8 and joined the cult of the lpvo on this particular rifle; we'll see if it sticks.