Originally Posted by 65BR
4x AO Bushnell Sportview did good work till I put a 6x36 Leupold on a 10/22. Using 6x and 2x7s right now.

Interestingly heard from a guy who uses an Anshutz sporter on squirrels, with a 3x. Not shooting long shots but says it works for him. I have used irons and also 2.5x.

That said, a 6x and 2-7 will do a lot of good work. If you have a heavy barrel it will steady better with a higher zoom, but something topping at 9 or 10x should give you plenty for what you are doing on squirrels, and the 200 yd targets.

My primary rifle for hunting fox squirrels here in Nebraska is an Anschutz 1502, 17HM2, mounted with a Weaver V16. I've tried a lot of different rifle and scope combinations for hunting fox squirrels and even through the V16 is a little physically larger than I would prefer to carry in the woods, it allows me to take longer shots or to dial down the AO for short range shots. My #2 fox squirrel rifle is a Remington 504 in 17HM2 that has an old Vari-X IIc 2-7x28 and my #3 fox squirrel rifle is a Marlin 917M2S mounted with a Weaver RV9 that also has the AO feature.