Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Thanks, 260, for that info.

I've never shot a 17 HM2. Sounds like you've had good luck with that round.

DF

The 17HM2 shoots just as flat a trajectory out to 100+/- yards as the 17HMR does to 125+/- yards. It isn't quite as fast, so there is less kinetic energy on impact, making it making it more of a squirrel size killer than a 'chuck size killer. When the 17HM2 came out, ammo was around 50% of the price of 17HMR ammo, and if you didn't need the extra velocity, range, energy on impact, it was a viable cartridge. Also, Eley ammo was really accurate, shooting right along side the mid-grade Eley .22 LR ammo at a lower cost. The lose of Eley ammo definitely hurt the 17HM2, but the CCI and Hornady ammo is fine for most things that you might want to shoot within the 17HM2's niche.

The biggest problem that people seem to have with the 17HM2 is when they convert Ruger 10/22s. It appears as though there is a fine line between a functional 10/22 conversion and one that fires out of battery, damaging the rifle and probably injuring the shooter. There are lots of "KABOOM" stories on RFC. I did 3 conversions, 2 using Green Mountain barrels intended for the 96/22 and 1 with a relined barrel. I never had a "KABOOM", but came closer than I felt comfortable with when I had some bulged cases. If I kept them spotlessly clean, they worked fine, but I felt like I was on the very edge between functioning and unsafe, so I converted the 2 rifles with the Green Mountain barrels back to .22 LR and kept the rifle with the lined barrel.