Originally Posted by Rugerfan4374
Sweet rifle and an interesting caliber! Hope it works well for you.

I have been kicking around the idea of building one or finding one, but with two 338 Win Mags, and one of those is loaded down for Whitetail with 180 Grain Nosler Accubonds, I just haven't convinced myself that I need one of these yet.

You don't need one.....

I sold my 338WM in the late 90's and have long since been a huge 338-06 fan. Have had numerous rifles (5) such chambered. Currently have one, and two more being built right now. It is currently shooting 200gr Hornady SST's into tiny groups.

Since I have read very good things about the now discontinued 200gr NBT's in this caliber, I want to work up a load with 200gr Nosler Ballistic Silvertips for my SE Alaska Black Bear hunt next June.

My experience has lead to me to believe that the 210gr mono metals are fantastic for elk but a little to hard for deer. The plain 200gr Hornady IL causes lots of meat damage on deer, never used them on elk.

I sold a friend of mine a 338-06 (seller's remorse) and loaded up some 180gr NAB. He used the rifle and load last fall to take his biggest whitetail yet. Bullet seemed to work perfectly, not recovered of course.

Arcus Venator