Originally Posted by Prwlr
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Most rifle loony endeavors (whether a new rifle, scope, cartridge, powder etc,) involve the expectation of completely changing your life. Good luck!

Good post, I remember your statement from an article IIRC that you thought that your old 270 was the hammer of Thor (my interpretation) until you found out the bullets were only traveling about 2700 fps. It changed the way I thought about max loads and trying to get that last 50 fps. At the ranges where the vast majority of game is killed 50-100 fps make no difference. Many big game Ouija board witnesses can attest to this. grin

Been there for quite a while. My "stock" loads for the .270, '06, and .308 are all pretty mild. My brass and barrels appreciate it. Under typical conditions around here, blazing speed just creates more instant aspic when the bullet lands. I've also lowered my usual 100-yard sighting in most cases to make precise placement at practical ranges easier. Long shots aren't common here, but quick ones are. It's hard to remember to hold a bit low when you're rushed; easy and natural to hold up a bit at longer range.

What fresh Hell is this?