Help me out here guys. I have only shot six deer in my 69 years and my mediocre hunting career. All of them were Alaska's little Sika Black-tailed island deer and all were does. Because of the islands brown bear population I carried a 30-06 and 165 grain Partitions, one neck shot and five lung shots. All the deer ran like heck for about forty yards and fell over. I mean they scooted and I was thankful for the snow and blood trail. Those little suckers ran further then any moose I have ever shot. All bullets passed through the deer and none were over 100 yards when shot.

A friend shot his two deer with a .223 Rem. and some flavor of a 55 grain bullet, another friend used a .270 Win. on two deer and another a .35 Whelan on two deer. All were under 100 yards and one shot kills.

It is my understanding some white tails in the north, like Canada, can be much bigger then in the rest of America. Does it really matter much what expanding bullet one puts through a deer's lungs? Do those Berger's really drop them with a lung shot? Are there any Berger's suitable for big brown bears?