I own a 2WD truck and when I started taking the family into the woods to camp & hunt, I got some load-rated mud grips for the rear axle. The truck has an electronic limited slip that is not quite as good as mechanical, but better than no limited slip diff.

Mug grips + electronic limited slip diff + common sense on my part never left me stranded. Trade off was more road noise and poorer wet pavement performance.

Eventually replaced those with AT tires. Much better on dry & wet pavement, but not nearly as good as the mud grips in the sloppy stuff. Got into a few situations where the mud grips would have managed, but my ATs did not. Instead of pushing it, I turned around and said, "Nope, not going to make it happen this time." Maybe 4WD+AT tires could have made it.

One other thing: load rated D and E tires impact MPG, but are worth it to me to reduce busted tires when out in the woods & slop. I got D rated but would go E next time. Just so many more E load rated tires out there.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers