Originally Posted by jrsdws
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by jrsdws
Add Savage 11 Trophy Hunter XP Youth to the potential list.

I'm like stainless but don't think it's a must. We keep a cleaning kit in camp and are pretty religious about cleaning and maintenance.

The Rem Model 7 was another I found to be a contender. How does it compare to the 700 youth?

I want something with a decent trigger as it will help with accuracy and confidence.

A 700 ADL Youth package gun in 243 with a no-name (throw-away) 3-9x40 scope should run you under $400 at Wal-Mart. The small dealer wholesale price for these 700 ADL packages is around $395, so Wal-Mart's ability to buy in large quantities will generally get you a lower price than your average dealer can sell them for after shipping and retail mark up.

Marlin sold the XS7 with a youth length stock in 243 and 308. The last time that I looked CDNN still had some 243 packages for $270. I have at least one XS7 Youth stock off a rifle that I bought as a donor action for $30 plus the actual shipping/insurance. I think that I have a couple NIB XS7 Youth models, one in 243 and one in 308, on the shelf that I probably won't use if either would work for you. The 243 is a KY built rifle and the 308 is a CT built rifle.

CDNN has the XS7 243 package right now for $250. The reviews look pretty good overall. How does this stack up to the other suggestions? Tikka, Model 7/700, Savage, Weatherby? Hard to overlook the price if the rifle itself is good. Scope can always be upgraded as necessary and if one can get a youth stock?

I like them and since they have almost the barrel tenon specs as the small shank Savage 110 series barrels, they are easy to rebarrel. I have 17 of them, so I guess that I like them OK.