Generally I would say that if you only have 1 or 2 cans there is no need to ever get a dedicated 5.56 can. Having said that though, I have several more cans than that. Once you get up in the neighborhood of 3-5 (or more) centerfire cans, then it can start to make more sense to start buying dedicated cans for specific rifles. My SHTF gun is a Adams 14.5" piston upper with pinned ASR brake, and the can I have on it is an old discontinued Specwar 556K. On a gas gun that can would probably be a tad gassy, but it is not a problem on that piston gun. Size is very good though, and since it was designed specifically for 5.56 the suppression is pretty good. I actually get quite a few comments on how good it sounds, surprising since it is a shorter K version. Another benefit is those old Specwar cans were built like tanks. They can take a lot of heat and abuse, which is a good thing since that is the gun I use when I take classes. Like I said though, that is kind of a specific use, where I knew how it would be used. Having a dedicated, caliber specific, really tough can on that gun is a good thing.

I also have 2 Omegas, one with a flat end cap on my 6.5 Grendel AR, and I run another one swapping between my 243 coyote gun and my 6.5 Creedmoor LR rifle.

Last edited by JTPinTX; 09/20/19.