Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Yondering
What's apparently not clear to you is that bumping the shoulders back a couple thousandths IS full length sizing. It is not partial sizing. If you want to use a shim for partial sizing that works, but it's a different topic and not what we're discussing here.

Correct shoulder bump is NOT partial sizing. Partial sizing is when part of the neck is left unsized, and the shoulders are not bumped back at all.

IME, what you’re calling ‘partial’ is generally called neck sizing. Partial FL sizing is typically considered to be bumping the shoulder, but not all the way back to SAAMI dimensions, while FL sizing usually means restoring body dimensions and headspace to SAAMI spec while also sizing the neck.

No, that's never been the meaning of partial sizing as I've ever understood it or seen it used. Perhaps that's what some guys call it, but that's incorrect and misleading IMO. Sizing the shoulder to fit your chamber IS full length sizing - neck, shoulder, and body all get sized full length. Anything more is just excessive sizing (i.e. bumping the shoulder back too much causing excess headspace) and poor die adjustment, most guys just don't realize it. Just because your die is capable of being run down to the shell holder doesn't mean that is correct "FL sizing".

Neck sizing is a different thing from partial sizing the neck with a FL die. Partial sizing still reduces body diameter to fit the chamber easily while leaving an unsized ring of the neck to center the cartridge. The neck is only partially sized, hence the term.

Regardless, bobber257's idea of "less fiddling" is actually a lot more fiddling than just measuring and adjusting the die correctly.

I agree about setting up the die correctly in the first place, but this is the first time I've seen someone describe FL sizing that way. Pragmatically, the purpose of partial FL sizing has always been to tailor the case dimensions with a specific chamber in a non-interference relationship. The reason some people FL size (meaning to SAAMI spec) has always been to use the ammunition in various chambers that may vary somewhere between SAAMI min and max specs.

Your description of "partial" sizing also leave me a little confused, since IME when the FL die sizes the entire neck and approaches the shoulder, it begins sizing the body enough to stretch it so that you have negative headspace. Doing it that way, you'd likely be approaching a fine line between partial neck sizing and negative headspace. Personally, I prefer to do my partial neck sizing with a neck die, and then size the body and bump the shoulder with purpose every few firings.