Among my souvenirs is a mechanical crossbow head I found while butchering a deer. It had gone high through one shoulder and lodged in the other one with the point just poking through enough to cut into the hide from inside; a constant irritation I'm sure. It looked like the shot was either from above or had arced in, since the exit was lower that the entrance (which had healed over). I know it was a crossbow because a short section of shaft was found, separate from the head, on the entrance side.

The same hit with a rifle would likely have dumped him on the spot, a classic high shoulder shot.

Last year was my first season using a crossbow, and both deer died quickly, but travelled 50 to 75 yards, just like ones hit with a rifle in the same spot might have.

On the bright side, the residents around your hunting area may be fed up with deer damage in their yards. Just make sure you follow the rules about recovery. You likely have to ask before entering private property. Also, use your head a bit about when you hunt. Nobody wants a bleeding deer stumbling into their kid's birthday party.

What fresh Hell is this?