Good article John. It goes well with the mono bullet discussion. I have heard this before, but never can quite bring myself to do it because of one thing, meat loss. I am a meat hunter, and depend on deer for my meat supply for the year. Having inadvertently hit the front shoulder before, I saw how much damage a bullet can do when you add bone fragments to the mix. And I really do not like throwing away an entire front shoulder. But this got me thinking, with a hard cast bullet with a wide flat meplat, meat damage should be minimal. But would the effect be as dramatic? Sorry to bring cast into the mix!! I plan on using a 358 Winchester this year with a 230 grain cast bullet with target velocity of 2100 fps.

I guess basically what i am asking is how much does velocity affect this quick killing. Most of the examples you gave involve velocity of 2500fps +. Have you seen many examples of slow moving/heavy projectiles breaking the shoulders, and were the results as instantaneous? I am thinking that my above mentioned bullet will do a good job of drilling through both shoulders of a white-tail, but I am not sure it has enough speed to produce the shock that a fast moving, expanding bullet will have.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.