Good article John,
I'll just relate one exception and stress exception to the usual DRT I have experienced.
Blacktail buck approximately 125lb and 150 yards distance. 270 Win with Barnes 130gr TTSX @ 3060fps MV. Shot placement was high ribs tight behind the shoulder and skinning showed very similar to baldhunter's pics above. At the shot he dropped on the spot. No surprise as this has been the case with countless deer in the past. I leaned my rifle against the carcass and grabbed the horns to position him for gutting and he woke up. I was standing in front of him with a horn in each hand as he began to get more lively with each passing second. By the time we had waltzed around a few times , moving downhill and getting closer to a brush choked canyon, I realized if I let go to grab my rifle (now several yards away) he would be in the brush and be a very difficult recovery. The only thing to do was twist his neck until his feet were out from under him and get out my pocket knife to finish him.
Sometimes stuff just happens.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor