Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by 10at6
My Dad is now 97 and counting. B17 pilot, flew 35 missions in the big one. Hell's Angels and quite a guy. His crew is all gone..long ago

http://www.303rdbg.com/360geiger.html

Was my favorite Bomb Group in the 8th Air Force...

When my dad was stationed at RAF Alconbury from 63 to 66, I went to school at Molesworth...

The WW 2 runway was still there, we use to ride bicycles from one end to the other...
our school cafeteria was one of the old WW2 chow halls...
our auditorium was the main briefing room for the missions with a big map of NW Europe on the wall...
The last mission flown from Molesworth in 1945, had all the coordinates on the wall .. It was covered by a huge Velvet curtain
most of the time...

My elementary school grounds and buildings (1963) was the 303rds HQ area...

There were still the remains of a few B 17s on the field, off at one end of the runway... is parts of course...

and the old church was still in use that you see on various pics of B17s taking off belonging to the 303rd, with the Triangle C on the tail and right wing....

A salute of respect for your dad, and let him know, 50 years ago, it was all still there just like they left it in 1945...
The Nissen huts, etc.. all over the base and the old firepools etc.....

I loved Molesworth.. and all the history left over from the war that was still ALL there 20 years later.

Yep he flew all his missions out of Molesworth. I have a bunch of the AA shrapnel he picked out of his plane. We should talk sometime. The old man has stories w/o end. He went on to fly transports in the Pacific and flew the Jap cabinet back to to Japan after the war. It's a funny story.
He is 97 and his mind is still totally with it.. Funny he never talked about the war until he he was well into his 80's . He is one tough SOB