Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I hear you. I was just going to point out there are likely some instances where FFP mil/mil scopes would be out of their "comfort zone", and perhaps standing timber/mostly closer ranges would be one of them. I'm guessing running deer in this timber even moreso.

As someone who actually hunts with a mil reticle, I haven't found that to be true at all. A decent mil reticle points just as well as a duplex or #4 or whatever other older reticle you care to use, but it also has advantages at longer distance that the others don't.

I've honestly never understood the guys who claim a mil dot reticle is too busy to hunt with. If they were talking about something like a Horus reticle with lots of little lines, sure, but a simple mil dot reticle is pretty basic and never has caused me any confusion for quick shots.

That’s mostly the overriding point in both these threads. In woods, set and forget, mpbr lovers, 90% of typical hunting scope use..... it doesn’t matter one whit. OTOH, translating how most use/setup/sight in for those things is in a linear measurement of (inches) vs yards. Which (although still not technically correct) has been translated from an angular unit of measure of MOA, to work great for sighting in at the range. MIL works just fine converted for that, also. When you get out to LR and dialing and using the scope mechanicals and reticle as MOVEABLE measuring/adjustment devices, then there’s just units of angular measure: MOA/MILS.....take your pic, but trying to think of either as some set of linear measured units is just making it far more complicated than it is at that point......whichever you use/like. Just use your range and your MOA/MILS and roll. JMO