Originally Posted by Elvis
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
What is the ROT in the Winchester 54?

I measured it with a cleaning rod at 1:12. It was an aftermarket barrel and was 26 inches when I got it and my gunsmith lopped it to 24". I think I only ever loaded 100gn Remington CLs in it and they shot into just under an inch at 100m at about 2900 fps. I sold it to my brother a few years ago as I kept using my Ruger instead. I'd like to find an original Model 54 in .250/3000.

I don't think that I've seen more than 10, probably fewer, and only a couple that hadn't been reworked in some way.

Back in 1985/86 when Bearrr264 and I were going to school in the Boston metro area, we made a road trip to Taylor's in China, ME, to see a "original" 54 in 250-3000 that was advertised in either GUNLIST or SHOTGUN NEWS. When we got there, we found a rifle with non-factory modifications to the bolt handle, to the Mauser-style safety, to the stock, and several extra holes, nowhere close to being factory original. The seller's comment was that it was in the original condition that they had received it in. That experience made me distrust Taylor's under both the Taylor's and Wildwood Guns names.