Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Remind her to always (ALWAYS) wear her seat belt.

Every year I read or hear about country kids in IA and NE who lose control and roll their vehicles on gravel roads, Almost every one of them who is killed died when they were thrown from the vehicle. If they'd be wearing their seat belts the majority of them wouldn't have been thrown from the vehicle and would have lived.

PS - don't forget to put some sand bags over the rear axle when the roads start to get slippery with ice/snow.

Not discounting seatbelts at all. I 100% believe they're the 1st line of defense.

Something my dad drilled into our heads early and often regarding driving, especially on gravel:

"There is no shame in the ditch. If you drop a tire off, drive down in, then drive back out. Try to correct (bring up on the road w/out driving into the ditch) once a tire has dropped off and you'll roll it almost 100% of the time." "Anything you wreck on the car/truck by driving into the ditch, even driving fast into the ditch, is a pittance compared to dying."

He had us practice @ gravel road speeds. Made for a few bouncy rides, but, neither sis nor I have ever come anywhere close to rolling a vehicle on gravel (Or anywhere else) despite 10's, perhaps 100's of thousands of miles of gravel driven.

Congratulations to your daughter, that pickup looks like a peach! May it give her many years of safe dependable driving!

Last edited by horse1; 10/01/19.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.