Originally Posted by JimInAK
Update: Operation salmon shipment was a moderate success. USPS priority mail large box arrived 4 days later with salmon thawed, but still cold and very edible. Thanks for all of the input!

A couple lessons learned with this experiment. Pre-forming blocks as previously discussed would have worked better for increased quantity and maintaining temps. Despite a rigorous game of sockeye Tetr"I"s I was only able to get about 8 lbs. in the box. Next year I will plan ahead...

I had assumed that USPS flight out of AK would depart mid afternoon so dropped the package off early Monday a.m. at the main post office near the airport. The package was sorted at around 7:30 p.m. and scanned pre-flight at 2:15 am Tuesday morning. Dropping it off after work or even Sunday evening would have given it another half day in the freezer.

Not quite what I had hoped, but successful enough I will try it again.

I suspect improving the block density and a little better delivery luck would have made all the difference in getting it there in solid...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.