I have been packing a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 since about 1990, but I have never shot a critter with it. Just packed it in the off season when not hunting because it carries so easy and delivers a powerful pay load. It has spent many an hour on hikes, ATV rides, salmon streams in the wall tent by my cot for what ever nights in griz country brings, etc. The seven round peep sighted rifle is a down right comforting piece of artillery that has a reputation for putting big critters on the ground with a cast bullet at about 1,300 fps mv. I am sure it still works.

Are heavy cast bullets the best choice for moose, elk, and big bears? Ya got me and I will never shoot enough big stuff with it to prove one way or another. But it has been proven to be plenty sufficient. But how much penetration do we need? Just enough right? Long ago hunters showed what a good tough jacketed bullet could do and acceptable calibers have been getting smaller for awhile.

I have shot quit a few 350 grain Hornady's and carried them for a few years and a friend of mine took a few moose with the 405 grain Speer. But, a long time ago I switched to the heavy jacketed 405 grain Super Bonded bullet from Alaska bullet works and seated them in WW brass over a case full of H322. I still have about 80 of them left and will load up the same style of bullet in 350 grain version in new Starline brass when they are gone. I believe it will cover any thing I would need a 45-70 for.

I wanted to try the 350 grain FP Barnes X, but Barnes will only sell them to Buffalo Bore, Rude!

I always read good things about the discontinued 300 grain Nosler 45-70 bullet. In truth, I think about any 350 grain bullet would do for bison, moose, elk, bear.

Me and my 71 year old wife don't quite get the access to moose and caribou that we did in younger years. Our moose this year could of been taken with the 45-70 had I brought it that morning. I have also noticed that even though our moose are not getting any bigger they get heavier each year, old age. I have confidence that I can make any reasonable shot to close to 500 or so yards with my scope sighted .338 and don't have the same confidence in my shooting at over 150 yards with my 45-70.