Now, having traveled all over the United States, and seen some very large trees in a lot of places, there's only one place to see trees like this. And for those who have never been, I highly recommend it. Even though they are in California. Yes, OR, WA, BC, AK, ID and MT have some big trees, very big trees, but it's hard to beat these coastal redwoods.

I went to the coast a week or so back and stopped to "visit" a friend who's ashes we may or may not have dusted over the ground here.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Vehicle for scale, and the tree in the parking lot is not particularly large:

Founders Tree, 190.4 feet to the first branch, over 346' tall, 40' in circumference.

What happens when one falls? Kindling?

I believe the split tree was hit by a tree hit by the Dwyerville Giant when it fell in '91. This is the root wad of the Giant, vertical 4x4 post in front of it is about 2.5' tall to give you an idea of scale and it sits 15'-20' in front of the roots, at the edge of the divot caused when it fell.

A little info on the Giant:

I highly recommend getting off the freeway and taking the Avenue of the Giants (old hwy 101) if you want a nice experience while on vacation. The Founders Grove is only one of at least a dozen on that section. There are more big trees to be seen further north along 101 also. Truly a world record place right here in the good ol' US of A, not available anywhere else in the world. The Giant Sequoias in the Sierras are cool too, but don't get as tall as the coastal variety.

Now, go ahead and run down Commiefornia if you must, but our scenic grandeur is second to none...................well perhaps second to Alaska.

Geno

PS, did y'all catch that 190.4 feet to the first branch thing? lotta places don't even have one tree 190.4' tall around. Or even a bldg that tall. grin

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?