I know, the torque values are based on SCREWS, not on the force applied to the scope tube. If I drill and tap the holes in the rings to 10-32 can I torque them to 50 in/lbs???

This is not an intuitive way to secure a scope. Apparently the Chinese aluminum used in the Vortex scopes is not a strong as the other-sourced aluminum in the Leupold scopes which, apparently, can withstand these thread-yielding torques.

I had a LONG discussion about torquing scopes with Ryan Muckinhearn (spelling?) from Vortex. He straight up told me that if I torque one of their scopes (other than the Gen 2 tactical scope) beyond 18 in/lb I would ruin it. I told him that it might be a good idea to put those instructions in with their scope packaging. He agreed and said that they had just started (SHOT 2018). He also gave me specific places NOT to put the rings on the scope tubes.

Without saying it directly, he implied that the only proper way to mount a scope was by using a rail which allowed you 100% freedom in locating the rings where there were no delicate moving parts underneath!

I have had a dozen or so Vortex scopes fail during load development or practice and he blamed it on me for using my Warne pre-set torque driver. It was set to 25 in/lb which he said damaged their scopes. I couldn't argue with this other than to tell him it didn't damage my other brands. I now torque ALL the scope installations so that I can justify my work as being to specs when the scopes finally fail.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.