I lived in North Pole/Eielson from 95-99 and then again between 2002 and 2010 with a few stints living in Delta Junction. It’s true that the temps fluctuate a bunch just a few miles this way or that way in the interior. Some low spots are always colder, I could leave North Pole at 5 am to go to work in Delta and it might be 45 below and I would hit spots along the Richardson where my windshield would start frosting up and I could feel the heat not feeling as warm and look at the outside temp gauge in the truck and it would rear error and then a few miles latter suddenly go back to reading -48 and the windshield would start thawing again. North Pole had some holes like on Plack Road where it could easily be 15 deg colder than in town. I’ve heard stories and testimonials too many time to count where sub -70 was reported in different parts of the interior but I don’t think most people even had accurate enough thermometers to know for sure. I can attest to it being a cold son of a bitch anytime it got below -50 it didn’t matter anymore!