I am a fan of the 35 caliber, and have owned a good number of rifles in most of the 35 caliber cartridges you can imagine at one time or another.
At the moment I have only one, a Winchester 94XTR in 356 Winchester.
For the area where I live and the hunting conditions which are most commonly encountered, I find it is just about the perfect rifle/caliber combination. With bullet weights available from 180 grains up to 250 grains, or even heavier, it offers a variety of options to the handloader..
I find the180 gr and 220 gr Speer flatpoints will take care of any deer, and the 250 gr Hawk flatpoints for hogs which are very common around here, and some of which get up to pretty healthy weights.
Out to 200 yds the 356 does a great job on anything I would care to shoot, and with heavier bullets it's suitable for pretty much any game animals in the US with the only exception being Brown Bears.
The same is true of the 358, although if I were going to purchase another 35 caliber bolt gun, I would most likely opt for the 35 Whelen.
The 35's have never gained the popularity that the 7MM and 30 caliber cartridges have, and never will.
Only the 35 Remington, 358 Winchester, and 35 Whelen are still readily available, which to me is a shame.
Shooters that own and use the 35's tend to keep them, as they work well.
Hence their relative scarcity on the market.

Last edited by Daltond; 10/13/19.