I highly recommend using either of two "one-step" cleaning products. CorrosionX or Eezox. As said, clean the bore before using, and make sure it is dry before firing.

Both products clean, lubricate, and dry to touch. Very good in humid conditions, such as Alaska or Florida, and for protecting from finger prints and hand moisture.. Once dry, they will not attract and "hold" dirt, wipe off like oils, freeze, or gum.

Those two are the only things I have used in the last 30 years or so, with no regrets, if I had them on hand. Well, sometimes Hoppes 9. Because I like the smell...... smile

I have used 100 gr bullets almost exclusively in my ..243, which I have had since 1974 or so. Can't say I have ever warmed to the caliber, but it has taken sheep, black bear, caribou, and moose. Hornady Whitetail ammo is generally both accurate and about the cheapest, and works well. Ditto Remington Corelokt. I have largely gotten away from using premium bullets simply because the plane janes have done as well for me, and are much less expensive.

Using premiums because they are the most accurate in your rifle, or because your caliber may be a little "light" for the game are good reasons for going to premiums. Or just because you want to, and they give you a warm, fuzzy feeling, cost be damned. smile

For "average" hunting purposes, a 2-7, 2.5-8, or a straight 6 power scope is hard to beat at most hunting distances, except very long range (whatever that is). Any will be plenty good to 400 yards.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.