Originally Posted by ol_mike
Friend who shoots quite a bit of pistol says reloading isn't worth his time & he loads for all his rifles .
His reason - he says he doesn't have good luck with consistant cycling and especially doesn't have good luck with hollow point ammo .

Is it common to have to hunt for bullets [HP] that function correctly ? ?
Pistol is a Kahr cw45 and i've only shot winchester white box 230gr. FMJ and it is 100% reliable with one magazine - other magazine has had a fail to load a couple of time in 50-60 rounds .

Mike,

I've had a CW45 and presently have a Kahr TP45.

Good accurate pistols.

The chambers are a little tighter than any other 45 acp I've shot.

The only trouble I've run into (with the Kahr's and not any other pistol) is with cast bullets... neither of mine would run .452's. Would not chamber them. Never had any problem with Hornady .451" XTP's, the only (reloaded) bullet I've ever shot out of my Kahr 45's. I've also shot factory Remington factory 230 grain FMJ's with no issue.

Starting to reload for pistols, especially semi-auto's as noted above watch your overall cartridge length, that they fit not only the chamber but the magazine.

Also do not get carried away with the crimp, the cartridge headspaces on the case mouth, and you do not want to create any kind of a bulge here.

Buy carbide dies so you can skip case lubing.

I know a lot of people who reload 45acp and have no issue.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum