Hey Dan, do you think that some people here overthink things a little? I believe that John should do a proper advice column: Ask John.
---

Dear John,

I'm having a problem with my chronograph. Or maybe my rifle. Or my components. I'm not really sure.

I own a Savage Axis XP in 308 Winchester - please note, it's not the regular Axis, but the upgraded skull stock and whatever else they put on the XP to make it better. Here's my problem. I just started reloading, and bought a Shooting Chrony, and proper targets from Cabelas. I used to print targets at home on my printer, but decided it was time to work things through scientifically, so I got orange ones.

Anyway, I loaded up seven cartridges and took them to the range. It was really exciting! My first home made cartridges! I set up everything on the shooting bench, including my chronograph. I read at your website - 24 Hr CampFryer - about testing your own reloads. When I shot the first three, all the velocities were different!! I followed the recipe EXACTLY (capital letters added for emphasis). I just don't get it.

My scale isn't cheap! I bought it off of ebay for $30. It's digital!
The powder is all fresh. I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't use powder that's more than 2 years old.
I'm shooting Noslers, not cheap Hornady or Barnes bullets.
I got a Leupold scope. That might be my problem. I read there that Leupolds are junk now.
I bought Lapua cases too!

So what's the deal? Is my chronograph uncalibrated? Is the Leupold affecting the velocities? Should I switch case brands or try another bullet? Woodleighs? Maybe they're dirty and need cleaning?

I'm at my wit's end and ready to chuck it all!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]