Originally Posted by tzone
I know it's not what you asked about...but if recoil is truly a concern, get a .223 Rem

This. Barnes or similar bullets and its good a long ways for almost any shot at any deer. Works way better than most even give it credit for.

That said my buddy has the stent etc... shoots a 300 win mag....

243, reduced, there are blue dot loads out there. IIRC we use a mild one at times. Its been a long time because we moved to 300/221 subsonic suppressed for a lot of deer and it never fails to impress me that a fairly quite round kills so quickly with little recoil. 194 Lehigh but I digress.

Used 243 with 80 ballistic tip varmint bullet BUT at around 1700 fps. Have done only rib shots with it but almost to 200 yards. works really well. Fairly quiet, and little recoil

One thing you have to watch with factory as the bullets get lighter the speeds often get faster and there can be something of a trade off. IE fast recoil hurts me more than slow. Not that 243 has a lot either way, but its not always as much reduction in recoil as one thinks it might be

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....