Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I was a geometry dropout, but I'm pretty sure a deer in close to a 30' high stand is going to present a narrower target than from a 15' one unless their body is perfectly round At any rate, moving slowly and while a deer is looking elsewhere works well, unless you need a running start to draw a heavy bow.

Here, especially early in the season in heavy cover, 20 yards is a longish typical range. Killed some closer from low stands and on the ground.

At any rate, you're welcome to all those 30+ feet stands. I can't concentrate simultaneously on hunting and fervent prayer.

A 6" circle, is still 6" at twenty or thirty yards from 20 feet to 30 feet! you are just aiming for a different angle through the animal. Knowing the kill zone from all angles is the key!

Clearly the stand position eclipsed you!!!!! Why would you put a stand that close to a trail?

I have no problems drawing any of my bows. Nor do I have a problem cancelling my position. But the fact of the matter still remains that animals see movement very very well! Taking away any advantage of that is never a bad thing. Using every trick in the books will help anyone kill more game.

Some locations won't allow for a high stand and that is fine. But if I can hunt it on the high side I am going to every time. For guys that are afraid of heights I get it, keep it in your comfort zone.

Not any circle in deer I shoot. Targets are oblong for vitals, not round. Unfortunately. And going up narrows the target to a degree no matter, since its not round, of course if your vitals are the heart only, yep fairly round. I get the idea, like shooting the brain shot, same target mostly, just center the sphere from whatever angle.

I used a 6" circle because if the arrow is placed in that 6" circle its a dead deer. I never said the vitals were a circle. That circle that I speak of is actually more like a sphere and it is 6" weather at 20 or 30 feet high. Your arrow placement angle of attack will just be in a slightly different spot on that sphere. Animals are not flat paper targets, but even if it was a flat paper target that 6" circle is still 6" and again the difference being the angle of attack.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.