Originally Posted by JeffyD
Congrats of a memorable hunt. Waiting to take delivery of an M77 tang safety in 257 Bob I just bought.

That's what mine is.
Made in 1989. Sold a Savage 110e with a shot-out barrel at a gun show to a guy that wanted the action for $250; Literally backed into a guy with the Ruger slung over his shoulder with a "For Sale" sign on it. Got it for $400 with a Leupold M8-4x in the rings. He said he bought it for his boys but they wanted something bigger, Said it had "maybe" a box of shells through it. No scratches in the bluing under the safety, something I "fixed" the first couple of trips to the range. Since I had purchased an identical scope, also used, a month or so before for $100, I figure the rifle upgrade cost me $50. Sweet!

First thing I did to the .257 was float the barrel. Later I polished and tuned the trigger (old adjustable type). The throat on it is so long I joke some of the bullets couldn't tough the lands with a stick, but it shoots great - 75g V-MAX (3609fpsd), 100g TTSX (3175fps), 110AB (3163fps), 115g TSX (2013fps), 120g A-Frame (2947fps); All Loads use WW +P brass and powder charges. Message me with your email address if you are interested in more load details.

Mine currently wears a Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14x AO that I purchased used and sent back to Leupold for an upgrade to their Varmint reticle and turrets. Turned out it was too old for the horizontal turret but it did get a vertical.Took an antelope a couple years ago that a SIL had shot at and possibly wounded. Past the center point in a crop circle so past 440 yards and I estimate closer to 500. It was heading away at a slight quartering angle. Turns out SIL had missed completely but someone else had creased it across the front below the neck and the left leg was badly infected. Daughters and nephews have used it to take their first antelope and everyone loves its gentle-on-the-shoulder nature. I think you will enjoy yours a lot - congrats!

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.