Mackay Sagebrush always brings excellent insight to these threads."The situation you are in, and the bad guy/guys you face will not change, based upon what you carry. Like unwrapping a present from a stranger, you get what you get, not what you want." This is one of the best statements that I have ever read on deadly force encounters. My take away on this is to always have a gun, it may not be the best for the situation but it is critical that you have one. When we were looking for carry guns for my daughter, we looked at the S&W 442/642 and the Ruger LCR. Both were light enough but still bulky. I have a Colt Magnum Carry that my daughter can handle effectively with Remington 357 Golden Sabre Medium velocity ammo but the bulk is there along with even more weight. We settled on a Beretta Pico in 380, she also looked at a Ruger LCP but liked the Pico better because of the sights. Is it better than a snub nose 357, no it's not but it's not far behind a 38 with wadcutters, ballistics wise. The key is that it is sufficiently small, light and probably most importantly flat that she will realistically carry it. For the statistically typical threat profile she is likely to face, 1 or 2 males within 7 feet face on, it can work. It's better than a rape whistle. It is currently loaded with 380 Hornady XTP's but I may give her the Winchester 380 FMJ flat point to carry for more penetration.

Last edited by ar15a292f; 10/21/19.