Thanks gents. Mine is a 308 WIN made in 1963. This one is my second one; the first was an early one from 55/56 - it was more prone to jamming as it lacked the cartridge lifter on the bolt head and had the flat bottom magazine. I traded it for this one about 25 years ago (1995 at Shuman's Guns in PA). This one is very accurate with a handload - Hornady Interlock 165 grain BTSP and IMR4064. It will not shoot worth a damn with any factory ammo I tried. The finish is getting thin on the wood but it is in overall good shape - however when you examine it closely you can see the finish is gone near the buttplate. I am guessing the rifle got the new style stock in 1964 (transition era) or that a prior owner broke the original stock and ordered a new one after the checkering change. Serial number is from 1963. It's been my favorite deer rifle a long time - I own one Ruger M77 in 270 WIN and three pre-64 M70's (270 WIN, 308 WIN, and 30-06 SPRG) but deer hunt almost exclusively with this rifle.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge