Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I just finished reading Battle Cry, the novel about the Marines in WW2 fighting on the Pacific against the "Japs".

Is it money, real-estate, minerals? Wars are old as time, and there are a few going on right now.

Call me Gus, and perhaps I ask stupid questions, just the feelings after reading the book.

Wars are started for different reasons. Usually none of them good reasons.

But in WWII I believe there were very good reasons for that one.

As to Marines fighting Japs in the Pacific, you do recall Pearl Harbor, don't you?

WWII was simply WWI, Part 2. What England and France did to Germany at the end of WWI was reprehensible. That doesn't excuse Hitler's megalomania, extreme racism, nor the atrocities he inflicted on even his own people, but it DID give the populace a reason to back him (fully at first) and his agenda. We only got into it by being dragged into it by Hitler's obsession with destroying Great Britain, which caused our supply ships to be sunk, resulting in the loss of American lives and property. It didn't help that some of those ships were sunk off of the Texas coast in the Gulf of Mexico...

As for the Pacific part of WWII, Japan's desire to conquer the entire western Pacific Rim caused them to attack Pearl Harbor as a preemptive strike to prevent the US carrier fleet from stopping their conquest of the Pacific in order to fulfill their plans.

It still all boils down to money, power, and control.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell