Originally Posted by ihookem
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I don't know if anyone has produced a map of the southern Ontario ridings, comparing 2015 to 2019, but here is the overall standing. The Liberals and the NDP lost and the Cons and the Bloc gained. There is a large immigrant base in and around Toronto. I'll leave it to the pundits to dissect how the vote went there.

Liberal was 177, now 157 - loss of 20 seats

Conservative was 95, now 121 - gain of 26 seats

Bloc was 10, now 32 - gain of 22

NDP was 39, now 24 - loss of 15

Green was 2, now 3 - gain of 1

Others was 9, now 1 - loss of 8

Looks like Canada is going in the right direction anyway. It took us the 2010, 2012, 2014 and then the 2016 to gain control, and what do the conservatives do? they spent their time fighting of course.

Soap Box Time

I think it's business as usual. Canada has a reputation of voting parties out. IOW, we tend to get rid of a party rather than elect one to govern. It's still the Liberal's turn. Next election, it will probably be the Conservatives again.

If one looks at the political parties here, we are pretty messed up. We have one group, the Bloc, that wishes to secede from Canada. They aren't a national party at all, and only field candidates in Quebec. Then we have another party, the Greens, who, until May of this year, only had one member elected to Parliament. Bear in mind that there are 338 elected MPs in Ottawa.

Why then, were Yves-François Blanchet (Bloc) and Elizabeth May (Green) allowed to participate in the televised French and English national debates? Neither is an official party. Neither elected enough members to have official status in Parliament. The Bloc had 10 members, and the Greens had 2. You need at least 12. That's messed up in my view. Having those two participate, watered things down. Some of the message got drowned out or ignored because there were too many debaters.

The west can crab about separation, but they would be better off lobbying for an overhaul of Parliamentary rules and procedures, as well as the restructuring of the Senate. The whole country hears from Elizabeth May daily, yet ordinary Canadians, westerners included, never get that level of attention in the media or on Parliament Hill. This is the inequity.

Why did the Conservatives lose the election when they had more of the popular vote? Justin Trudeau said that he would change the present election system from "first past the post" to "proportional representation". He didn't, and that's lucky for him. Another broken promise. Had he actually fulfilled that election promise, the Liberals would be the Official Opposition and the Conservatives would have been the governing party.

The political system needs an overhaul.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]