I think the 1100 and SX1 are great guns and very reliable when maintained properly and that is the kicker. These older designs require more work up front to become reliable as well as care to stay running reliably than more modern designs. One can easily go several thousand rounds without cleaning on a modern semiauto which was not often possible with the older designs. One may say a gun needs to be cleaned after every use but it is not always possible to do so at a large shoot, especially if one flew in and was limited as to gear to bring.

The A-5 is a reliable gun and has the distinction of being used to win the first NSCA championship. I don't think Remington can say the same regarding any of their guns. Browning may have other wins with semiautos but Berettas will be found much more frequently.

The A-5's recoil can be severe if the rings are not set correctly and one does not use the style of shooting common in the late part of the 19th and early 20th Century but if done correctly, recoil can be pretty tame. The noise associated with the mechanism IS disconcerting but it is good practice towards learning to ignore the spring noise on an AR-15 and vice versa.

I am a fan of the A-5 but would (and do) pick a more modern Beretta for use today. I have had great luck with the Berettas I have owned since the mid-1990s. It is what I chose for my girlfriend, later wife, even though I could buy Brownings at factory cost at the time.

Last edited by woodmaster81; 10/27/19.