Many years ago, as a young man, I used to enjoy the likes of Trap and Skeet, long before "Sporting Clay's" was someone's dream. I've seen and handled many fine smoothbore's over the years, and frankly I believe it all comes down to preference. If you like a particular shotgun for the way it feels, points, and reacts to your manipulation, then you'll do well with it. If you don't, then not so much.

Having said that, my Mentor, a man that started me in the Trap shooting game, and a very fine Gunsmith, looked me straight in the eye when I asked and he said for the money, it was difficult to beat a Beretta. I took his advice to heart. I'm not a wealthy man, and over the years I've struggled to fund my Gun account with enough money to buy the finer examples, but my meager stable includes the following.

My first Beretta, was a NIB White Onyx that had a "Milky Finish" so the gun dealer made me a hell of a deal on it. 12 ga, 28" tubes, and has smacked everything from doves to Huns and Roosters in between. I just like the way a stack barrel points. Wish I had found a way to buy the Silver Pigeon 20 ga. I always wanted, but as I'm getting into the twilight years of my hunting, doesn't seem likely now.

When I was spending a lot of time in the Dakotas with a good friend and hunting Pheasant on big farms, you needed a semi to keep up with the farm boys as they meant business! I purchased a well used Beretta Silver Mallard. Still have it. Used it for Birds and Sporting clays and also filled in for Predator hunting. I also had a Gold Mallard, which I foolishly sold many years ago. But it was too pretty to hunt with the Gold inlays and all.....

I also believe a man should have on truly beautiful shotgun in his life. Mine is a Beretta Silverhawk .20 ga. SxS, 28" tubes and chokes. Sweet, light pointing little double that I have carried for Grouse and Tree Rats.

I have a Benelli M2 tactical that does the heavy lifting for the Varmints, both two legged and Four. Pistol gripped, ghost ring sights, and with screw in chokes.....#4 Buck is an amazing killer to 60 yards!
Add in a beater Mossberg 500 as an all around and loner gun as well.

Last, but not least, is a Mossberg Shockwave in 12 ga. I spend a lot of time in areas frequented by snakes.....this little cannon rides in my truck all the time, ready to eliminate them at a moments notice......does quite well for it's intended purpose.

So, as I said, different guns, for different purposes. Works just fine for me....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~