Friends,

I wanted to pass on the sad news of another one our Campfire friends having gone west. Steve Carberry, aka 7x57 Steve, passed away Monday in his sleep after an extended illness. Many here have met Steve over the years and he was instrumental in starting the campfire pig hunts in TN as well as getting a lot of us in Md together on a frequent basis to hunt, shoot or at least have a beer.

Born January 24, 1940 in Wa DC, even with no family members that hunted or fished, Steve was drawn to it at an early age. He told the story of he and his father walking down to the local newsstand for his Dad to pick up the Saturday Evening Post and Steve getting his first copy of Field and Stream. It was life-changing event for him and it lead to a life-long avocation.

Professionally Steve was educated at Georgetown and went to law school there and worked for the Department of Defence in acquisitions the majority of his career. He started with the Bureau of Ships and then moved on to Naval Air Systems Command (ironic for someone didn't fly!) There he became a Senior Executive (the civilian flag officer equivalent) and was responsible for the acquisition efforts of several significant programs including the Navy Tomahawk Land Attack Missile and the privatization of the Naval Avionics Laboratory, the largest privatization ever conducted by the government. At the end of his career he was the Chief Procurement officer for HUD working to modernize their financial system. A life-long conservative, his many times testifying in front of congress left him with a healthy skepticism of all politicians.

Steve made many trips west to hunt big game but his true love was squirrel, rabbit and varmint hunting. We did a fair amount of bird hunting together as well. He leaves a large family mostly on the east coast between here and New England and made sure his grandchildren had the opportunity to experience the outdoors and his love of them.

We'll miss you Steve.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Vancouver island bear

L->R 284LUVR, Pugs, Steve shooting small bore silhouette.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated