Our local gun shop has a custom Model 61 that's caught my eye and I'd like some advice about whether it's worth the asking price. The rifle was excellently restocked with a high grade piece of marble cake walnut, and both the forend and the butt have a well executed ribbon checkering pattern with 24 lines per inch. The gun had been drilled and tapped for a side mounted scope at one point, but those holes were filled and are only detectable if the receiver is held at the right angle under a strong light. It's a 24 inch round barrel, marked Short, Long and Long Rifle, round top receiver. Clearly it's been reblued, but it's a high quality rust blue job with crisp markings. Gunsmith is unknown. I don't think the gun has been shot since it was redone, as there is no sign of wear on any of the moving parts at all.

Asking price is $1095 and out the door price (tax, transfer fee, etc.) is probably $1000.

I don't know much about these and probably wouldn't have looked twice were it not for the high grade stock work.

Thoughts?

Thanks.