Originally Posted by Remington40x
Thanks to all of you for your responses. What I'm getting from this is "If I like it well enough to pay $1000 for it, buy it, but don't expect to have it appreciate or even to get my money out of it when it comes time to sell it." Am I reading you all correctly?

I am a sucker for fine woodwork, which is what drew me to this Model 61. I hardly can see iron sights anymore, so unless I can find a good peep sight, I'd probably not get much use out of it, but it would give me pleasure to own just for the quality of the stock work. I know I'd have a very hard time duplicating the work for several times what the rifle is priced. The blank would probably cover half the asking price.

Anyway, thanks again.

IMO, you're reading this exactly right. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay. Can you negotiate the price down some? Explain that it's a soft market for those kinda guns. And, the gun is still sitting there, he hasn't sold it. How bad does the seller want to move it. Wave around some cash... grin

I love pretty wood, too. To me, a lot would depend on the quality of the work, if it's really professional or a tad amateurish. Hard to tell without seeing it or looking at good quality photos. If it's a really professional job, probably worth the ask.

If you get it, please post photos.

DF