Personally, find that 16 ga barrels on the top make for a much nicer handling drilling, there is very little that 12ga can do that a 16ga can do as well if not better just do to the weight and handling of the drilling. As far as the rifle barrel for my first one I'd look for something in a rimmed cartridge, break open rifles and rimmed cartridges are made for each other. There is a good selection of very capable rimmed cartridges available at reasonable prices from S&B and PPV. 6.5x57R, 7x57R, 7x65R, 8x57, 9.3x72R and for a biggy the 9.3x74R(375 H&H class) There are a number of oddballs from Europe while great cartridge they can be a little harder to feed. I have a svelte little drilling in 16ga/16ga/6.5x58R Sauer that brass is hard to come by and the groove diameter is halfway between .257 and .264 that I have to swage .264's down to .260. It is very accurate and is a pleasure to hunt with.

My 16ga/16ga/7x57R Sauer drilling with the original 6x48mm scope in claw mounts. It would be a great rig for shooting from a box blind and pop the scope off to hunt on the way back to the truck.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I made a set of claw mount rings to mount a low power scope that fits my style of hunting much better(still hunting in the forests). Now it is a fast handling weapon, much like a DGR with fast target acquisition.

My coyote hunting drilling again with a low mounted low power scope, it came with a Hensoldt 4x36m in high claw rings. 16ga/16ga/6.5x58R Sauer

Last edited by erich; 11/06/19.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders