WyoCoyoteHunter: Every time I get to thinkin I am the "smartest guy on the block" I prove to myself I AM NOT!
A few years ago I am minding my own business when a Remington 700 VTR (Varmint/Tactical/Rifle) comes along in caliber 223 Remington at a great price and I pick it up.
Unbeknownst to me this Remington 700 VTR in 223 Remington comes with an unmarked twist rate of 1 in 9 inches.
Oblivious and ignorant I proceed to mount a Leupold 3.5x10 variable on it and load up some Berger 40 Varmint type bullets.
It shot them rather well and I decided to see how well it would shoot the Berger 52 grain Varmint type bullets - it shot them even a "tad" better!
Anyway at about this time I get to talkin my Rifle up to a Varminting friend of mine and he relays to me that this Remington 700 VTR should not be shootin as well as it did with the small bullets I am using in it because of the 1 in 9 twist it has.
I questioned my friends contention and we adjourned to the Remington online catalog and sure enough it is twisted much faster than the dozen or so other Remington 700's in 223 Remington I own.
I say give those 40 grainers a try - they work for me (the Berger 40 grainers anyway).
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy