Years back, Scenar Shooter did a thread comparing his .308 to a .260.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6552195/Re:_GAP_.308_VS._GAP_.260....S

First paragraph from that thread:

"I'll bet I've received 30 PM's in the past year about these two rifles. This question comes up a lot, "As your go to rifle, which would you grab, the .308 or the .260?" I thought it was time to do a real world head to head comparison. I have quite a bit of field time with the .308, with numerous big game kills and 800+ coyote kills. Last fall, all of my big game hunting was done with this lightweight GA Precision built .260. I also have a heavier .260 that I've used to take 231 coyotes with."

That would be a fair testimonial that the .308 is a great all around cartridge for everything up to and including bears. Pat has posted pics of some true wall hangers over the years with that .308.

Check out "Deceased by Scenar":

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4985572/1

For extremely long barrel life, if I had to choose only one cartridge, I know which one I would choose.

This .308 has numerous sniper/precision rifle schools under its belt and 15+ years of use, with a round count north of 5K on the barrel and it has not shown a reason to rebarrel yet.

It started as a early 2000's era T3 .308 Varmint (Pre T3 Tactical) with a 24 & 5/8ths" barrel.

This was right at 500 yards from the top of the haystack pictured in the rear.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Spring bear hunt where the bears were not cooperating, so we turned it into a long range ground squirrel shoot. Aiming low on the mound, we would launch them into the air killing them, yet keeping them intact. Fun times!

Eventually it was shortened to 20"s after the purchase of a 26" Sako TRG .308.

For a guy who may only want to buy one rifle, hunt a lot, and shoot a bunch, a .308 is going to be very hard to beat. The 6.5s are certainly excellent, and I like my .260. That said, a guy is simply not likely to get 5,000 to 8,000 + rounds from a 6.5CM or .260 and maintain a what most would consider an acceptable degree of accuracy.

This is where a .308 shines.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com